Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Glory Hole



A few years back my friend, Michele asked me to help her get her Christmas decorations from her Glory Hole.... I was wondering what or where that MIGHT be... she had just moved in to a different home. I find out it's her crawl space. Well she said that's what her Mom called her storage area.. I loved it.. it sounded so mysterious and Glorious too.. So while we were building the Happy Shack, it was my job to help insulate the walls. I got to work..one wall happens to have plumbing in it for the out door shower. Insulation was done, sheet rock, texture, and paint.. AHH perfect! Next spring we return to work on the house.. turn on the water. OH MY..LOOK water flowing into the house from the shower wall.. Well I didn't know I was suppose to put the insulation batting between the exterior wall and pipes.. SO Hubby had to cut a hole in my pretty finished walls I had textured and painted last fall. Light Bulb moment.... GLORY HOLE... make a little access door.. so if we ever need in that wall again to fix a pipe or whatever.. no more repairing of wall.. SO I gave him the idea of how I wanted it made.. NOW here is my Glory Hole door.. we just have to pop off 4 little wood dots to access screws, to remove the little square part of the "door" . I had to dress it up..I am known as Miss Fancy Pants... nothing can be left plain. I used anaglypta paper, a cute arch I got at Ross for $12, (I bought all 4 arches and have them all around the house ) and even a little door knob reproduction from Wal-mart for $6 that I did a patina treatment to, some extra wood "angel wing" shape appliques to the arch..left over trim from the house ..DONE ! I love it when people ask me what's behind that door? Its only 3 feet tall..... Maybe it's for "Alice to access the Rabbit Hole.. Simply Glorious !!!

1 comment:

  1. And glorious it is! I love all the special details that you added to it. It just makes it look so grand and the best part of it ..... it didn't cost that much to do either! Perrrrfect! Oh yeah and the little key at the top....cute cute cute touch.

    ReplyDelete