Sunday, December 9, 2012


Thanks to Pinterest I saw an idea for a new ottoman.. Just liked how they reused an old  coffee table. I pinned the idea.probably will never use the idea..but someone may..I continued pinning things for weeks.. like we all is my cyber "hoarding" space. Well in Oct. while we were spending 2 months on the beach we were out shopping and  I ran across some fabulous cow hides.. YES ..cow hides.. I love them..even tho I am more of a girly girl in decorating. I petted it and left..Since I had no use for one. Next day sitting on the beach it hit me. OH i could make that cowhide into that ottoman. A large one to scoot up to the sofa to make it feel like a lounger.. sooo back to town we went to pick thru the hides..$100 for here it is Dec..  I had been driving past my fav. junk store..never seeing the perfect table to reuse.One day I took dear hubby and off we went junking..40 miles from home..the 3rd place we went.. boom there it was..The legs were perfect. Paid the lady $38 ..she was shocked I would just want the legs off the table..well it was  rectangle shape..and the top of the table was shaped so it would not work..and I knew how prices plain new legs at Lowes load up table... lets roll.. Hubby cut me a 28" X 28" square of plywood, rounded the I went to town to buy a cushion and some batting and nail heads.. Of course all the cushions were 24 x 24.. Well I ordered a memory foam pad off the internet ,$48and cut it up in to 2 28 x28 squares..and now I have enough of that to recushion the settee at the foot of our bed.. so that will be  getting a lift soon.

.but first.. glued the foam on with hot glue in a few places to hold it steady while I wrapped it in the hide. thicker than normal upholstery fabric.. but got it done..stapled it all on with staple gun... then trying to  keep the nail heads all in a nice line was tricky..ended up using some masking tape as a guide. The legs off the table I sanded lightly, primed with Kilz, then two coats of Colonial Cream. and mixed me up some antique glaze of  Asphaltum color paint (craft paint and clear glaze 50/50) brushed on the antique, let it set for a few min..them wipe off excess.. After that dried I used the glaze mix and spattered the legs with  a toothbrush..let that dry and sprayed them with a quick mist of clear coat paint. SO here it is.. LOVE it.. I may actually sit on the couch now.. there's a place to put my feet up !!! so adding up the nail heads and other things I bought to finish the job.. I spent a total of $190 !